Acupuncturists may use other techniques as well as acupuncture. These may include –
- Electro acupuncture: A small electric current is passed between two needles to help relieve pain and tension.
- Moxibustion and / or heat lamps: Muscle tension is released by gently warming, with the therapeutic herb mugwort, or heat lamps.
- Tuina bodywork: Chinese remedial massage which stimulates pressure points and qi flow to relieve muscular and connective tissue tension.
- Cupping: sterilised glass cups with a vacuum seal are placed on the skin to encourage blood circulation and disperse stagnation.
- Guasha: Vigorous rubbing of the skin increases blood circulation and clears stagnant Qi.